Урок английского языка в 9 «а» классе по теме «To read or not to read?»
УМК “New Millennium English” Гроза О.Л. и др.
Учитель: Полякова И.А.
- Формирование понимания и осознания важности чтения литературных произведений
- Ознакомить с новыми ЛЕ, МФ по теме «Книги»
- Практиковать использование инфинитива с конструкциями inorderto/to/soasto
- развивать навыки устной речи в монологической и диалогической форме
- воспитывать уважительное отношение к окружающим людям, культуру поведения и взаимоотношений среди окружающих людей.
- укреплять любовь к предмету, интерес к английскому языку.
- Развивать навыки восприятия речи на слух, навыки чтения и монологической речи;
- расширять мировоззрение, внимание, логическое мышление.
Оборудование: компьютер, экран, магнитофон, раздаточные карточки, презентация Power Point
Teacher: Good morning, dear children! How are you? I think you are all right. Today we are going to speak about the thing everyone has got at home. As for me, I can’t live and work without it. It’s a book. And the theme of our today’s lesson is “To read or not to read?” (слайд 1)
- Речевая зарядка. At the screen you can see a poem about BOOK. But there are some gaps. Find the word for every line of the poem to make it rhyme. (слайд 2)
birds end friend hide kings things wide words
A book is pages, pictures and ________________ (1)
A book is animal, people and ________________ (2)
A book is stories of queens and ______________ (3)
Poems and songs – so many ________________ (4)
Curled in a corner where I can _______________ (5)
With a book I can journey far and ____________ (6)
Though it’s only paper from end to ___________ (7)
A book is a very special ___________________ (8)
- We have an unusual lesson today. Imagine that you are Russian and British pupils on TV. And I welcome you to our satellite link Russia – Britain “To read or not to read?” We began to study our theme with discussing your habits. I’ll ask you some questions:
- What do you usually do in your free time?
- What is your hobby?
- Do you like reading?
- How much time do you spend on reading?
Now pay attention to the LOOK box on p.125. We use the infinitive of purpose to answer the question “What for?” This pattern means «для того, чтобы». For example: I read in order to / to / so as to get new information. (слайд 3)
Why do you read?
- To become well educated
- To do better at school
- To please my teachers and parents
- To get advice when in trouble
- To kill time
- To have a rest
- To escape reality
- To raise my spirits
- To get new information (слайд 4)
- Vocabulary. It seems to me reading is and will be part of our life. People can’t imagine their life without books. First we see them in our childhood; later at school we start reading with the first ABC book. And the books are with us almost every day. We study them, copy, translate, borrow and lend. What genres of books do you know? Now let’s revise them. (слайд 5)
Teacher: a book about somebody’s life.
Teacher: a book that gives a list of words in alphabetical order and explains what they mean.
Pupil: a dictionary
Teacher: a book based on people or events that took place in the past
Pupil: historical book
Teacher: a book that tells a beautiful story especially about love.
Pupil: romantic story
Teacher: books about an exciting unreal experience
Teacher: book that makes people frightened
Pupil: horror book
Teacher: very kind and interesting book for children with happy end
Pupil: fairy tale
- Reading. Now let’s do Ex.4b. Read the summaries from some book covers and say what kind of book they are.
- – science fiction E. romantic story
- – animal book F. historical story
- – adventure story G. autobiography
- – detective story
- Now let’s play a game. Please make up and read some quotations of the famous people about reading: (слайды 6-16)
without / live / cannot / I / reading – I cannot live without reading
the voice / Words / are /heart / of the – Words are the voice of the heart
to the body / Reading /is / to the mind /what exercise / is – Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body
in order to / Read / live – Read in order to live
is / learning / Reading / the best – Reading is the best learning
- Listening. Listen to the children interviewed in the library about what they like reading. Fill in the first three lines of the table. (слайды 17, 18)
Genre or type of book he/she likes reading
Why the speaker likes it
- Speaking. OK. Thank you for your work. Our satellite is going on. Now let’s interview each other. Everybody has an opportunity to express his or her opinion. I’m going to offer you the words and expressions from the key words cards. Have a look at them and start discussing the subject of our lesson. Questions: (слайд 19)
- Do you like reading? Why?/Why not?
- Do you like reading comics (love stories/photo stories/fantasy stories/ fairy tales etc.)?Why?/Why not?
- Why and what do you read?
- What would you prefer – to read a book or to watch the same story on TV? Why?
- Would you prefer to read a story on a computer screen or a book page?
- Why do you think some people do not like reading?
- What do you think about the Internet?
- Who is your favourite writer? What is your favourite book?
Boys and girls, as you’re heard people read books for different purposes. Some read for more information, others read for fun or just to waste the time away. It’s rather difficult to give advice on reading. People’s interests are different, one enjoy reading romantic novels, others are keen on biographies and historical books, still other enjoy poetry. In modern society books have become overshadowed by cinema, TV, video, computers. But I think everybody can answer the question of our lesson now “To read or not to read?” I want you to make a poster to sum up our lesson. What is the answer of the question of our lesson?
Reading is exciting!
Reading helps us to find information.
Value of books is great!
Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.
Reading is the best learning.
- I’m pleased with your work today. I hope you understand that without books our life will be empty and boring. Read good books, enjoy them and think. Thank you for the lesson!
- Your homework is to complete the fourth line of the table in Ex.5a; Ex.1a, 1b on these cards. (слайд 20, 21)
- science fiction E. romantic story
- – animal book F. adventure story
- – horror story G. autobiography
- – detective story
- My childhood was a fairly happy one. My parents were a little strict, but they were fair and they certainly loved towards me. It was clear right from the start that they wanted the best for me, and also that they had high hopes for me.
- Amy jumped out of the taxi and ran towards the restaurant. She hated being late. What if Tom had already left? She pushed open the door and saw that the restaurant was lit with hundreds of candles. There was only one other person there. He turned and saw her and his face lit up. “Amy”, he smiled, “I knew you’d come”.
- The room was completely dark. She left for the light switch but nothing happened. There was no power. She held her breath as she crept across the room, stretching her hand out in front of her. Suddenly, something grabbed her wrist. She screamed. A hand covered her face and she knew no more.
- The year is 2287 and Planet Earth is gradually dying. Jay, a young man in his early twenties decides to leave his secluded penthouse home to find out what is happening in the world. He is amazed to discover that his pet chiken, Ethel, is an alien from another galaxy.
- This informative book presents amazing facts about sharks, whales, dolphins and more in lively words and spectacular illustrations.
- Follow the clipper ship Rainbow on her long, dangerous and exciting journey from New York to California, as the captain’s daughter sails her through storms and past huge icebergs along the way.
- Archie and his best friend, Paul, start their own detective agency, Super Bathroom Investigators. The bathroom is where Archie does his best thinking, and besides, the bathroom is available for their office.
I cannot live without reading
Words are the voice of the heart
Reading is to the mind what
exercise is to the body
Read in order to live
Reading is the best learning
Books in my life
- Do you like reading? Why?/Why not? – Yes, I do. Because …
- Do you like reading comics (love stories/photo stories/fantasy stories/ fairy tales etc.)?Why?/Why not? – Yes, I do/No, I don’t, because…
- Why and what do you read? – I read books about …, because…
- What would you prefer – to read a book or to watch the same story on TV? Why? –I prefer to read a book, because…/I prefer to watch the same story on TV, because…
- Would you prefer to read a story on a computer screen or a book page? – I’d prefer to read a story on a computer screen, because …/I’d prefer to read a story on a book page, because …
- Why do you think some people do not like reading? – I think …
- What do you think about the Internet? – I think …
- Who is your favourite writer? What is your favourite book? – My favourite writer is …./ My favourite book is …
- (Books/Reading) play(s) an important part in my life.
- (Many people are/ I am/We are) keen on reading.
- (Books/Reading) expand(s) the mind.
- Books help us (to solve a lot of life problems/ to learn more about other countries/ to explore new ideas/ to entertain oneself).
- I prefer reading (novels/poetry/science fiction/history books и т.д.)
- Reading is a good way to relax and to spend free time in a useful way.